Thursday, December 21, 2017

My Toastmaster Ice-break Speech:

I delivered my first speech at Kizomba Toastmaster Club and it was titled "My First Salary".

Thanks madam Toastmaster, fellow toastmasters and distinguished guests.
Today, I’m gonna talk about my first salary, I will explain  how it feels when you earn your first salary, but before moving to the intend of my speech let me introduce my self.

My name is Gilson Adao, I was born in Malange long time ago, I belong to a large family, my father was a really good baby maker so I have 9 siblings, I’m trying to follow his steps, but I’m kind of slow, so far I have a daughter. I have a bachelor degree in Environmental engineering.

Moving on, I have decided to work, when I was at 2nd year of university, I wanted to be independent and I had also my personal things to buy. At that time, I was looking for small jobs that would allow me to do both things in parallel, I was looking to 400 ou 500 pay job. I was so blessed that appears a job with higher pay than I was expected, so I signed the scholarship program with Exxon in December 2007, and at that time Exxon was offering 1200 to learn English during 12 months, I didn’t think twice and accepted the job.

I received the first  pay on January 27, 2008. And it was really a memorable day, I was already in school learning English, I remember this day like today, I was so anxious to go to the bank and make transfer to my family to celebrate this moment.  I was educated that the first salary should be spent with family in order to be blessed. I had made my plans with 1200, and I wanted to send half of my pay to my family.

So, I went to the bank and I asked for the account balance, when I received the paper it was showing 700$, I asked the teller to check again, and it was 700, so the teller printed the bank statement and it was 700, at first, I felt so disappointed, I thought that there was a mistake or something, I went and talk to another colleague and he received as well the same amount. I just went back to the bank and transferred 300 $ to my sister to distribute along the family.



No comments: